Sunday, March 29, 2009

Am I a Runner?

I have been asking myself this question a lot lately. It started during our triumphant 10 mile run last week, and has been pestering me ever since. We were once again left behind by the team, which I suppose is understandable, since they are all a bit faster, but none-the-less, it made me question whether or not I was really a runner. If I cannot keep pace with the other girls that are training, and my coach doesn't bother to come back for us, do I deserve to call myself a runner? Am I really more of a jogger? Does that take away from my accomplishments?

Kenny is obviously a runner. He floats along like a gazelle most days, and while I know this has also been challenging for him, his body and mind were made for running. It just seems to look good on him, no matter how bad he is hurting.

I, on the other hand, am not obviously a runner. Claudia reminds me often, that I am an athlete and have great hand/ eye coordination, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can run. And I know, that when I am hurting, it is as obvious and not so pretty.

So I decided to do some research, and get to the root of this concern. First stop: Webster's Dictionary for a definition:

Runner, n.
1) one that runs : racer

Run, v.
1)to go faster than a walk ; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step


As I am "one that runs", I was feeling ,much more confident, but I just needed to check "jog" before I was satisfied.

Jog, v.
1)to run or ride at a slow trot ; to go at a slow, leisurely, or monotonous pace
While my running had been slow by some standards, it certainly had not been "leisurely",so JACKPOT! Webster's thinks I'm a runner!

But what about other runners. What do they think running is?

I looked a little further, and found that the late Dr. George Sheehan, a best-selling author from the 1970s running boom, once wrote that the difference between a runner and a jogger was a signature on a race application. In other words, if you're motivated and enjoy running enough to train for an organized race, you're a runner -- regardless of your speed or experience in the sport.

I think this notion would have been enough to answer my question, but the icing on the cake, was a comment posted to our blog last week about running hair, where Mary said, "Those perfectly pony-tailed girls are joggers. Real runners have wacky hair."

So there you have it! It is official. Three well researched points that prove that I, like my wonderful husband, am a Runner. After all, would a jogger go out running at night in the rain, just to meet their training miles?????



Also, it should be noted that 2 of my favorite girls finished their first half marathons this week. Big big hugs to Liz Bryan and Ashley Nolan. I am so proud of them!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment